CL&P Emergency Preparedness and Response Briefing
Monday, October 7, 2013, 3 p.m.
CL&P Ready to Respond to Wind and Locally Heavy Rain
Operational Status: Monitor
- A line of heavy rainstorms with strong wind gusts will be entering western Connecticut between 4 – 5 p.m. today, tracking eastward until 8 – 9 p.m. Average wind gusts will be in the 25 – 35 mph range, with stronger gusts of 40 – 50 mph possible. Western parts of the state are expected to see the most impact, including 1-1/2” of rain. There may be some lightning with this storm. Rain showers could continue until approximately 2 a.m. The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch until 5 p.m. today for Litchfield County.
- CL&P prepares for severe weather every day and is poised to respond to any potential impacts from today’s severe weather forecast
- Employees are reminded to adjust driving for weather conditions. Avoid driving through standing water in low-lying areas. Prevent hydroplaning by slowing down when roads are wet. Watch for wet leaves and debris on all roadways.
|Line workers||Approximately 168 CL&P crews (336 workers) plus approximately 30 contractor crews (60 workers)|
|Tree||293 crews (approximately 586 workers) available|
- Storm rooms across CL&P’s territory are ready for activation, as needed.
- CL&P’s operational status is currently in MONITORING mode. Conditions exist that could present a potential risk to the electrical system in time, but currently pose no immediate threat.
- Ongoing work on the distribution and transmission system is being closely managed; contingency plans are in place in the event of unexpected outages.
- There are currently about 500 customer outages, some of which are due to downed trees.
- To report an outage, call 800-286-2000 or visit www.cl-p.com
- Customer reminders, in the event of outages, include: safety around downed wires and proper generator use. For safety tips, go to www.cl-p.com.
- For restoration updates:
– Visit the Storm Center at www.cl-p.com
– Follow us on Twitter @CTLightandPower
– Like us on Facebook at facebook.com/ctlightandpower
– Text the word “outage,” followed by a space and your zip code to 24612