The recent malfunction of the emergency-notification siren served as a reminder that the Town of Lyme resides within the 10-mile Emergency Planning Zone for the Millstone nuclear power plant. To help prepare our community to better respond to a real emergency, the Board of Selectmen would like to encourage all Lyme residents to take the following steps:
- Register to receive emergency alerts from the state by phone, text and/or email via CT Alert Emergency Notification System at http://www.ct.gov/ctalert/site/default.asp.
- Download the free smartphone app, “CT Prepares,” which is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Review the safety planning manual that Dominion Energy offers at http://www.ct.gov/demhs/lib/demhs/rep/2017/12-18-2017/millstone_ep_book_2017-18.pdf.
The following information may also be useful to know:
- Millstone’s warning sirens may be activated for situations other than nuclear power plant emergencies, including incidents involving hazardous materials or weather-related emergencies.
- The sirens are not a signal to evacuate; they are a signal for residents to turn on their TVs or radios, and listen for information from the state’s Emergency Alert System (EAS). A list of stations that participate in broadcasting emergency alerts can be found in the Dominion Energy manual listed above.
- As possible secondary sources of information, residents can also look for emergency notifications from the CT Alert system (see above); or on the Town of Lyme’s website or Facebook page.