The Ledge Light Health District (LLHD) serves as the local health department for East Lyme, Groton, Ledyard, Lyme, New London, North Stonington, Old Lyme, Stonington, and Waterford, Connecticut. A health district is special unit of government that allows member municipalities to provide comprehensive public health services to residents in a more efficient manner by consolidating the services within one organization. There are currently 20 health districts across the state.
LLHD works to promote health and wellness among the 151,000 residents it serves – including the approximately 2,300 residents of Lyme. The benefits for our town include:
- the ability to provide our residents with a full range of public health services all year long;
- the ability to offer emergency-related public health services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week;
- lower annual costs for providing public health services to our residents;
- ongoing access to a team of certified public health professionals;
- uniform and consistent enforcement of state public health codes and regulations; and
- assurance that the town is in full compliance with all state rules and regulations governing local health departments.
LLHD’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- inspecting and approving the septic systems of local homes and businesses;
- conducting soils testing, plan reviews and approvals of any subdivisions, new lots or building additions approved by the town;
- reviewing, inspecting and approving the locations and construction of wells;
- inspecting and certifying the health and safety of any establishments that offer food services;
- responding to potential public health emergencies, such as incidents of lead poisoning or outbreaks of rabies, Lyme disease or food-borne illnesses; and
- offering health promotion programs and services to our residents – e.g., smoking-cessation programs, flu clinics and Lyme disease prevention awareness campaigns.
The member of the Ledge Light Health District (LLHD) Board of Directors who represents the Town of Lyme is:
- John Kiker