Welcome to the web page for the Lyme Tax Office. Here is some important information that residents need to know.
Tax Payment Information
- Taxes can be paid by cash or check in person at Lyme Town Hall during normal office hours.
- Please make checks payable to: Lyme Tax Collector
- Mail payments to:
Lyme Tax Collector
480 Hamburg Road
Lyme, CT 06371
- The current mill rate (effective July 1, 2019) is 19.95 mills or $19.95 per $1,000 of assessed valuation, as set by the Board of Finance.
Real Estate, Personal Property & Motor Vehicle Tax Bills
- The Town of Lyme is a “single-installment town,” meaning that bills for all Real Estate, Personal Property and Motor Vehicle taxes are due and payable on July 1 – with August 1 being the last day to pay without penalty.
- Supplemental Motor Vehicle tax bills, which are issued for any vehicles newly registered between October 2 and July 31 and are due and payable on January 1 – with February 1 being the last day to pay without penalty.
State Statutes & Delinquent Tax Bills
- The Lyme Tax office is governed by Connecticut General Statutes. Two of the most important of these state that:
- a resident’s failure to receive a tax bill or the Tax Office’s failure to send a tax bill does not invalidate a tax; and
- a Tax Collector does not have the authority to waive interest on a delinquent tax.
- Under state statute, delinquent tax bills are charged interest at the rate of 1.5% per month (18% per year) from the original due date of the tax bill – with a minimum penalty of $2.00 per delinquent tax bill.
- Residents may contact the Tax Collector by phone at 860-434-8092; by email at email@example.com; or in person at Town Hall during normal office hours.
- The Tax Collector’s office hours are Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; and again from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Closed on Wednesdays.)
- During the month of July, office hours are Mondays through Fridays, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.