The Zoning Enforcement Officer (ZEO) administers and enforces all state and Town regulations governing zoning, subdivisions and inland wetlands and watercourses; and serves as an enforcement agent for the Hadlyme Ferry Historic District. Specifically, the ZEO:
- determines whether proposed uses of land are permitted at specific locations;
- provides guidance to residents on the appropriate locations of buildings on their properties and the subdivision of properties;
- reviews and approves all plans and applications for new construction to ensure compliance with zoning and inland wetland and watercourse regulations – including not only the construction of new homes, but additions and revisions to existing homes that fall outside a home’s original footprint or exceed height restrictions;
- provides guidance to Town boards and commissions as to whether applications meet Town regulations and if variances to Town regulations should be granted in specific instances;
- issues certificates of zoning compliance for residential and commercial properties;
- investigates complaints of potential regulation violations, and issues cease and desist orders when necessary; and
- works closely with the Planning & Zoning Commission, the Conservation Commission, the Zoning Board of Appeals and the Board of Assessment Appeals.
- Residents may contact the ZEO by phone at 860-434-7733; by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or in person at Town Hall during normal office hours.
- The ZEO’s office hours are Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.