Given the extreme temperatures and humidity levels expected this coming weekend, the Towns of Lyme and Old Lyme are opening the Lymes’ Senior Center at 26 Townwoods Road on Saturday and Sunday, July 20 and 21, from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., for individuals who would like to escape the excessive heat. The air-conditioned facility will offer water, light snacks, internet access and TV. Residents are urged to call the Emergency Management Call Center at 860-598-0120 with any questions.
In addition, the Lyme Hamburg Road firehouse may be opened as an additional cooling center should Lyme residents not be able to get to the senior center. Residents who need use of this facility should contact one of the following Emergency Management personnel and advise them of your need:
- John Evans – 860-772-7272
- Will Firgelewski – 860-391-3976
As it continues its efforts to increase the affordable housing available in Lyme, the Affordable Housing Commission (AHC) has identified information on low-interest loans that could benefit individual residents seeking affordable housing – over and above any actions the Town may take as a result of the AHC’s recommendations. The AHC would like to share this information with area residents and organizations interested in the issue of affordable housing:
CONNECTICUT HOUSING FINANCE AUTHORITY
- If you are either a first-time homebuyer or someone who has not owned a home in the past three years, you may be eligible for a below-market interest rate loan through the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority (CHFA).
- In connection with this program, you may be eligible for a further rate reduction that may be offered to qualifying veterans, military, police, teachers and people with disabilities or disabled household members.
- In addition to below-market interest rate loans, the CHFA mortgage program may also offer a Downpayment Assistance Program (DAP) loan to help cover a down payment.
- For details about this CHFA mortgage program, including its eligibility requirements and program limitations, please visit the CHFA website here.
US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE-RURAL DEVELOPMENT
- Another program that promotes affordable homeownership is sponsored by the United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development (USDA-RD). This program also relies on below-market interest rate loans and a typically waived down payment.
- In order to evaluate program limitations and determine if the USDA-RD program is a good fit for you, visit the USDA-RD website here. Click on “Check Eligibility” at the bottom of the page and then click on “Single Family Housing Direct.”
- In the words of USDA-RD, “Providing these affordable homeownership opportunities promotes prosperity, which in turn creates thriving communities and improves the quality of life in rural areas.”
The Open Space Commission will meet Tuesday, Jul. 23, at 7:00 p.m., at Lyme Town Hall. To view the agenda, click here.
The Board of Selectmen will meet Monday, Jul. 15, at 3:30 p.m., at Lyme Town Hall. To view the agenda, click here.
The Rogers Lake Authority (RLA) will meet on Wednesday, Jul. 10, at 7:30 p.m., at the Rogers Lake West Shores Association Clubhouse. To view the agenda, click here.
The Lyme Public Hall will offer a free concert and dance featuring the George Manstan Big Band on Friday, July 19, from 7:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. Founded in 1968 by George Manstan, the 14-member band is now under the direction of Cathy Stewart, lead trombone. The Lyme Public Hall is located at 249 Hamburg Road. For more information, go here.
The Planning & Zoning Commission will meet Monday, Jul. 8, at 7:30 p.m., at Lyme Town Hall. To view the agenda, click here.
Earlier this year, we informed residents that the state would be paving the entire length of Route 156 in town in 2019. Last week, the state informed us that it had placed this resurfacing project on hold and would not be performing the resurfacing this year – and might complete it next year. We will keep residents updated on the status of this project.
The Lyme Ambulance Association will hold a fund-raising barbeque and dance on Saturday, July 20, from 5:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the Hamburg Station. The evening will include raffles and a silent auction. Advance tickets are $20; at-the-door tickets are $25. Tickets for children under 10 are $10. Tickets may be purchased online at www.lymeambulanceassociation.org or by calling 860-434-5667. To see the event flyer, click here.
Lyme Town Hall and the Transfer Station will be closed Thursday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day.